As part of our Talk Israel month at The David Project, we are highlighting our 36 favorite Davids that talk Israel. Think someone is ranked too high? Did we leave someone off the list? Let us know in your comments below! Let the countdown begin!
36. David Gergen, CNN Commentator, former adviser to four presidents
"The innovation, the vitality, the spirit of those people is something that has continued to impress me to this day,” Gergen said of Israelis (quoted in the Algemeiner, from speech at Jewish Federations of North America General Assembly).
35. Magen David Adom, Israeli emergency response
34. David Suissa, What Obama Can Learn From Israel
33. David Geffen, Music mogul, "His mother called him King David."
30. David Rittberg, Senior Program Officer, Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation
(A little sucking up to major foundations never hurts!)
29. Star of David, primary logo of 3,000-year-old brand
28. David Cameron, Prime Minister of United Kingdom [one_half][/one_half][one_half_last]“With me you have a prime minister whose belief in Israel is indestructible. And you have a prime minister who wants to build a strong and productive relationship with Israel,” he told the audience of over 1,100 at the Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane, central London (from Jerusalem Post).[/one_half_last]
27. David Dabscheck, Deputy Managing Director, Israel Action Network and former David Project guy
26. Dovid Melech Yisrael, everyone's favorite pre-school song 25. King David Hotel, Jerusalem
24. David Zuckerman, original producer of Family Guy.
We are currently looking for a Jewish/Israel/Zionist connection beyond Peter Griffin's momentary conversation to Judaism. We are sure we will eventually find it.
21. David Grossman, noted Israeli author, includes Obama in his fanbase
20. David Broza, the "Israeli Paul Simon," wicked guitar player
19. David Irvy, architect of Israeli bombing of Iraqi nuclear reactor and former ambassador to the United States
18. Larry David, Palestinian chicken aficionado
17. Rabbi David Rosen, international director of interreligious affairs at AJC, represents Jewish community to world religions, friend of many Popes
16. David Brooks, New York Times Columnist,
"As an American Jew, I was taught to go all gooey-eyed at the thought of Israel, but I have to confess, I find the place by turns exhausting, admirable, annoying, impressive and foreign," (from New York Times).
15. David Bowie, an innovative and long-lasting British musicians. Also, played a rock'n show in Israel in 1996. Israelis have been dancing in the streets ever since.
14. David Copperfield, Israeli-American illusionist [one_half]
"Copperfield credits his Brooklyn-born Russian Jewish father and especially his tough Israeli mother with - perhaps unwittingly - paving the way for his achievements," (from Haaretz).
12. David Harris, AJC, more than anyone else, the diplomatic voice of the Jewish People
11. David Bunis, Chief of staff to president of Brandeis University and longtime supporter of Israel, and most important a David Project board member
10. Dave Matthews, writing Jewish summer camp anthems since 1996
9. Students at UC Davis including David Marias, who stood up to BDS when the movement came to their campus last year... and won.
8. David Makovsky, Washington Institute, everyone's favorite Israel/Mideast analyst
7. Camp David, vacation site of U.S. presidents and site of Israeli-Palestinian negotiations
6. David Horovitz, Times of Israel founding editor and analyst of all things Israel and Middle East
5. David "If you don't put me on this list, you're fired!" Bernstein, executive director of The David Project
4. David Hartman, Amazing Jewish philosopher, founder Shalom Hartman Institute
3. David Ben Gurion, the ultimate no-brainer selection for this list. "The Old Man," architect of Modern State of Israel
2. King David, Everyone's favorite Jewish monarch
1. David Project students! How could we not put ourselves at the top of the list. I mean, it's our list!
What do you think! Leave us a comment. Who (or what) did we miss?